Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Do NOT Use SEDO To Sell Nor Park Your Domains

SEDO Sucks!


If you want short reason, its customer service, and ridiculous amount of roadblocks required to even speak to a live person.

Medium reason, its extremely inefficient and badly implemented automated system which will most likely result in costing you money, and most likely by you being scammed/ripped off.

For long reason, read on. I warn you, this will really be a long article about SEDO's inefficiency and incompetence.

(As UPDATE I am giving you few links from folks who encountered similar issues to mine with Sedo at the bottom)

Perhaps I just ran into some clueless child they employed. But there is absolutely no excuse for childish behavior by an employee towards a customer. Ever.

I overbought .xyz domains, some 1200 in total. And normally in that case I'd just sell them through Namecheap (which I wholeheartedly recommend for both domains and hosting), but there is $1000 limit on Namecheap Marketplace and right now its undergoing some modifications so they disabled the "Make Offer" option. I still listed them with Namecheap, but figured in meantime I should list them elsewhere as well.

I did not use Sedo previously. Instead I'd go to Flippa, Afternic, Aftermarket, and sometimes GoDaddy for one specific type of domain names. But after my experience last night and this morning I not only do not intend to ever use Sedo again but I intend to warn anyone I discuss domaineering with away from Sedo.

I wasted four hours, spread out over last night and this morning on trying to talk to Sedo customer service. I have to say its the most unprofessional bunch of imbeciles I've encountered since YouTube.

Instead of just modifying my account, their "solution" was to entirely delete my account twice in four hours, and ask me to just redo it again. As I work with form filler its one click thing for me to remake account, I make millions of accounts a year, mostly using my custom python and ruby scripts, but its still a nuisance.

First problem they had was that my mobile phone # is not in same country my address is. I have solid reason for that. I do not give my personal mobile to anyone and I use my California mobile # for business. But, I use New York address as a business address, and Quebec address as a 'home address' (I travel a lot and this is more about in which city do I have what kind of people working for me) Nobody has ever complained about me using multiple state and USA/Canada phone numbers and addresses. Quite frankly, if you can reach me 24/7, why would you care? Paypal once complained that I was accessing my account from South East Asia while traveling but even they just took 5 minute phone call to pacify.

Instead of just calling me to ask me, after all they sent me confirm code which I put in, so i obviously do own the phone I gave them, they just suddenly, without informing me CLOSED my account. No email sent. No notification of ANY kind. Just I refreshed tab, I was logged out and it told me my password was wrong. As I use technology, thats impossible. But ok, I click I 'forgot password' and that informs me that my account has been closed.

Customer service tells me to make new account and that they want phone number and address to both be in same state. I find that ridiculous, but ok, I complied.

Keep in mind that average person would need to go through imputing and setting up prices for 1200 domains again. Ok, average person might not actually be selling more than 200 domains, but it still wastes a lot of time to recreate account when deleting customers account instead of making a phone call is a knee jerk reaction by a obviously incompetent employee.

So, I set it all up again, 20 minutes thanks to my scripts.

I give them my New York warehouse address, nobody actually lives there but its a remailer service to avoid paying shipping from USA to Canada. Its an address, I receive plenty of mail at it and I pay to have it driven over border and then courier brought to me. And a New York (two hour drive from warehouse) VOIP phone number.

That is apparently fine.

Bam. My account is CLOSED again. At this point I have no idea why, but its obvious that whoever is closing accounts like this has no business working in an online business. Its like going to a forum where some 14 year old introverted weirdo kid got modding privileges so hes banning everyone and murdering forum just because he wants to feel power.

Reason?

And this is probably the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard. For ONE of 1200 domains I was listing, it accidentally put eNom as registrar instead of Namecheap. So this idiot kid supposedly manually checked, although I find that insane, and sees that its at Namecheap and that ALL of my domains have Whois protection enabled.

He had a problem with me having blocked ownership information and his solution was to ban my account. Even tho we just spoke. A hostile imbecile having a bad day and taking it out on folks just because he can.

At this point one of my partners figures, ok, she will just take 200 domains and put them under her name and make her company address visible, but as we are discussing it, I think "WHY am I going through this nonsense?" Sedo is obviously garbage of a company. I require great customer service and reliability and if in matter of four hours they managed to convince me that they are as far as you can get from that, screw them.

After all, most of my domains move for $500 or under, I buy and sell a LOT of domains every year, and Namecheap is PERFECT for that. For those that are over a thousand in value I would not be using anyone but Flippa anyway. Entire Sedo fiasco was just an attempt to get more traffic to see my sites for sale.

But I just had to write this post because I find it absolutely ridiculous than any internet based company would hire people so stupid as to not understand that every year there are more and more of us Cyber Nomads who use addresses and phone numbers all over the world to conduct business through and that its just too much trouble to give out personal mobile number. Even when I'm receiving calls on it, its always rerouted through services like Google Voice and Voxox.

When a local grocery store needs to deliver, you can understand why they need local phone number. When Radio Shack/.Source asks me for a phone number while I'm trying to buy a four pack of AAA batteries I am far less understanding about their need to have my home phone number. I do not want solicitation calls. I do not want companies to have customer profile on me. Thats why I make my birthday different on every FB I use, thats why I use Tails and TOR.

Vote with your dollars. Dont just give out all information some lame company asks you for. Facebook has no reason to have your mobile.  Learn to think for yourself and only do business with companies which want your business and not to screw you over.

Update: Links you might want to take a look at in case you are still not convinced to stay away from Sedo:

http://www.domainstate.com/sedo-47/sedo-account-closed-down-600-dns-unavailable-reven-52710.html

https://www.namepros.com/threads/sedo-closing-account-w-o-warning.473664/

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/sedo-just-closed-my-account.1299766/

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/sedocouk-c221601.html

 http://www.bbb.org/boston/business-reviews/internet-services/sedo-llc-in-cambridge-ma-97970/

On that last one do note that Sedo has only 1 positive experience review on Boston BBB and 7 Negative. You do not have to be an expert on anything to realize thats terrible.

1 comment: